Playful.

Friday, September 10, 2010

And I get to call this a job!





And I get to call this a job! How blessed am I?!
Program Director, Water to Thrive

Yes, that is me, and my dad....all the way across the world. Africa. Ethiopia to be specific.
Even though we get to be a part of the process of getting thousands and thousands of rural villagers clean water for the first time in their lives....the gift that we get in return in priceless. Life changing. Transforming. Without adequate words to describe.
My life has been changed by this "job." My life has evolved. My heart has expanded. I am so blessed...over and over and over again.
The pictures above were taken this past June (2010), and I return in just a few short weeks. I was so blessed to have the experience of my father going with me on this past journey. It was rough. The conditions were not always easy. The travel, the jet lag, the physical adjustments, battling illness, and so on and so on....but it isn't until you come back home, and begin to process the experience over time that you look back and realize what a tremendous, once-in-a-lifetime, and absolutely God-given opportunity we were just a part of.
That was my second trip to Ethiopia. The first trip I took was in May of 2009. This coming October will mark my third trip.
My time in Ethiopia has impacted my life in so many ways. I hope to write about this much....and to provide you with a fuller sense of what getting involved with something like my organization can do, not only for those in need, but for your own life too.
God desires us to help those in need. But what we may not always realize is that out of our own selflessness, we get so much in return. We learn. We grow. We become better educated. We understand humanity a bit better. We understand abundance a little bit better. We understand our own situation and circumstances a little bit better. We understand how thankful we should be. We come to know that life is bigger than us.
We all have purpose. But are we doing something with it? I am.
I thank God that I am. Because it has changed me.
Much more to come on my work with Water to Thrive. Much, much more!